Monday, September 16, 2013

The Intern

I thought I should take a quick minute and write my thoughts down about my internship. It is quickly coming to an end, which has become very bitter sweet to me.

I had a hard time starting this internship. I get a lot of anxiety about trying new things, putting myself out there, and being critiqued. Most of the time I don't let it get to me very badly. I work through it and all is okay. With the internship it was hard to work through. I didn't know what I would be doing and even once I started, everyday was different so I couldn't mentally prepare myself for what was to come.

I constantly was telling myself it was okay, that I just needed to try my best and all would be great. Most of the time that worked. but sometimes I still felt like my brain was pulling in all different directions.

Luckily I got a pretty good handle on my emotions and learned "come what may and love it." I took one day at a time and really started to love the things I was doing.

I never did anything super duper amazing, but I felt I learned and grew so much from this experience, I would not trade it for the world.

A lot of the time spent there I was fixing mistakes/ problems that had already been made. I was assigned a box of clothing that each item needed something to be fixed or just finished on it. I spent a lot of time working on that and other times working on fixing things that needed to be done asap. One week I fixed probably over 100 or more zippers. In that week I sure did learn a lot about zippers and how to fix them.

Going into this I knew I wasn't the best sewer in the world. To be honest I wasn't that confident in myself at all, which is why it was such a mental struggle for me. But as I started to perform the tasks I realized I do know a lot of what they are wanting me to do and what they are talking about. Sure I didn't know everything and I was constantly asking questions and seeking help but I also gained a little bit of confidence in myself. I realized that I can do these things and if I work really hard I can do a really good job on them.

I loved getting an inside look on how a company like this runs and how they accomplish things. It was an eye opening experience that really made me see what I would like to accomplish and do in my life.

Overall this internship, being an intern at Shabby Apple taught me more than I could have ever imagined. It was the perfect experience for me to have and really made me grow not only as a seamstress but as a person. I really learned how to deal with those times when I get way too much anxiety. It was the perfect learning experience for me. I love Shabby Apple and the clothing they make and the things that they stand for. I am so proud to say that I was able to intern there and gain such amazing experiences.

love,alex

No comments:

Post a Comment